Share Sharing is caring! Share 2014 Carnival Mother’s Queen Heather Vidal of Portsmouth (left) and the 2015 Carnival Mother’s Queen Frances LockhartFrances Lockhart, 28, of Vieille Case is the 2015 Carnival Mother’s Queen.Ms Lockhart outshined six other contestants in the third annual Carnival Mother’s Queen show at the Arawak House of Culture in Roseau on Saturday 7 February.Ms Lockhart, who won the awards for Best evening wear, Best in evening wear and Miss Intelligence, was crowned by Heather Vidal of Portsmouth, the 2014 Carnival Mother’s Queen.Taneka Albert, 21, of Laudat who emerged 1st runner up, won the awards for Best traditional ole masquerade wear and Best in traditional ole masquerade wear.Elloise Etienne, 26, of Kalinago Territory & Stockfarm, placed 2nd runner up and won the awards for Best swimwear, Best in swimwear and Miss Amity.Annadale Jacob, 26, of St Joseph placed 3rd runner up while Kendra Stephen, 30, of Newtown won the Miss photogenic award.The other contestants were Geraldine Davis, 28, of Fond Cole and Lena Durand, 28, of Calibishie.– / 69 Share 529 Views no discussions EntertainmentLocalNews Vieille Case wins 2015 Carnival Mother’s Queen by: Dominica Vibes News – February 8, 2015 Tweet
RelatedVolunteers spring into actionBy RAY QUIROGA Port Isabel-South Padre PRESS [email protected] Given the events in Boston this past Monday, have you asked yourself just how far would you go for your neighbor or your community? There’s a groups of individuals right here in Port Isabel that is willing to surrender life and limb…April 18, 2013In “News”Fire engulfs 2-story homeBy CRAIG ALANIZ Reporter/Photographer [email protected] A structure fire Thursday morning has left three families in Port Isabel homeless. Port Isabel Fire Marshall Rodrigo Garcia said the fire department received a call at 8:43 a.m. regarding the structure fire located at 308 S. Garcia St. He said the first responders arrived…December 20, 2012In “News”Mayor discusses long-term goalsBy CRAIG ALANIZ Reporter/Photographer [email protected] The Port Isabel Chamber of Commerce hosted an all-member meeting with a State of Port Isabel address from Mayor Joe E. Vega last Friday. Vega said he is proud to report a healthy fund balance of $826,000 without making major cuts to employment and without…February 7, 2013In “News” Share By DINA ARÉVALOPort Isabel-South Padre [email protected] are offering up to a $1,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for a fire that occurred late last month in Port Isabel.The fire, which started inside a storage shed behind a residence on Monroe Avenue, eventually spread to the home, as well as a neighboring house — that of Port Isabel Mayor Joe E. Vega.“The fire originated in the shed and it caught my fence on fire, and it caught my house on fire,” Vega said. Both he and his neighbors were alerted to the blaze by two Port Isabel police officers who were passing through the neighborhood on a routine patrol at approximately 3 a.m. on July 23.“We’re blessed that we’re still alive,” Vega said.Later that day, Port Isabel Fire Marshal Rodrigo Garcia inspected the scene with the aid of the State Fire Marshal’s office. “The cause is still under investigation,” Garcia said, adding that the blaze appears to have been intentionally set. “There was no electricity to the actual shed, nor anything that would start a fire,” he said, though a motorcycle and lawn care equipment were stored within it, he said.Garcia said when firefighters arrived, “The front door of the actual storage shed was wide open.”“When I heard that it was an intentional fire … that brings fear,” Vega said.Though both homes were damaged, the mayor’s house fared the worst of the two. “It damaged the side of the house, the whole eave and it went into the roof,” Vega said. “We’ve been displaced for a month,” he said.Vega urged anyone with information to contact authorities. “I’m asking the citizens of this community if they know, or if they have any leads to the person who caused this fire to please report it right away,” he said.Anyone with information is asked to call 1-877-434-7345. Calls can remain confidential.“I just want to thank the two officers (Justin Garcia and Ben Gomez),” Vega said, adding that had they arrived 10 minutes later, the outcome could have been different. “We’re just blessed that nobody got injured,” he said.Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.
Also Read: When will MLB start? Players, Managers Intrigued By MLB’s All-Arizona OptionMLB pay cut: New York governor Andrew Cuomo references potential cut in MLB salariesOn Wednesday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo made an appearance on CNN and spoke on the MLB pay cut matter citing a conversation with New York Mets owner Jeff Wilpon. Cuomo added that the economics will change with no fans in the stadium and MLB will have to deal with the players. Super agent Scott Boras, who represents giants like Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg and Anthony Rendon spoke to The Athletic and said that the agreement was signed in good faith keeping in mind the possibility of MLB games in empty stadiums. Also Read: Coronavirus in US: Astros Ace Verlander Resumes Throwing After Groin SurgeryAlso Read: Coronavirus in US: President Donald Trump Believes American Sports Could Resume Behind Closed Doors Written By LIVE TV WATCH US LIVE SUBSCRIBE TO US FOLLOW US Sreehari Menon COMMENT We have updated this story again, with union reaction. Union and MLB differ on what their most recent agreement said regarding salaries for players in games with no fans. https://t.co/nsl2HTYdiF— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) April 16, 2020 First Published: 17th April, 2020 18:45 IST Last Updated: 17th April, 2020 18:45 IST MLB Could Ask Players To Take Additional Pay Cuts Despite Prorated Salaries Agreement Major League Baseball (MLB) could hold talks with the MLBPA over a further reduction in player wages despite signing a prorated salary agreement last month. The outbreak of coronavirus in US has seen all major sporting activities suspended to contain the spread of the deadly pandemic. The MLB season was scheduled to kick off on March 26 but was postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis in the US. With no baseball action, the MLB could ask players to take another pay cut in the MLB salaries to support the losses. MLB is planning to schedule the entire 2020 season in Arizona or Florida behind closed doors, which will mean a further dent in revenue from gate receipts. Also Read: When will MLB start? Arizona Governor Keen On State Hosting 2020 Season With All 30 Teams At ‘right Time’MLB pay cut: MLB could propose further cut in MLB salaries if games are played behind closed doorsAccording to The Athletic, the MLB could hold talks with the MLB Players Association (MLBPA) over a further reduction in MLB salaries if games are played without fans. The MLB and MLBPA had agreed on a player compensation last month after the outbreak of coronavirus in US and the subsequent lockdown of facilities. Players were given their MLB salaries on a pro-rata basis, while the Players Association has been given $170 million as part of the agreement, which will not have to be returned if the 2020 season is cancelled according to CBS Sports. While the MLBPA considers the MLB pay cut matter done with the agreement, a league spokesperson reportedly said that the deal was signed considering the possibility of the season resuming with fans in the stadium and the agreement makes it clear.
There’s an excitement building about the Tipperary hurlers as they prepare to embark on their new campaign according to 2010 All Ireland winning coach Eamon O’Shea.Tipp begin their Munster league campaign this Friday evening under lights against reigning All Ireland champions Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds.Friday’s game is the opener for the 2019 season with Limerick taking on Kerry on Thursday the 20th in Austin Stack Park the only other pre Christmas fixture in the Munster league. The new look Tipp panel have been training well across the last number of weeks in preparation for the year ahead. Liam Sheedy also assembled a new look backroom team for 2019, with coaches Tommy Dunne from Toomevara and Kildangan’s Darragh Egan to the forefront.Former Tipp manager and coach Eamon O Shea told Tipp FM Sport both Tommy and Darragh will do very well in their roles.Friday night’s game in Limerick throws-in at 7.30 – it will be live here on Tipp FM in association with Sullivan Family Butchers Brooklands, Nenagh.