Orange could buy smaller European operators – exec

first_imgHome Orange could buy smaller European operators – exec Author Related The head of Orange’s European operations, Gervais Pellissier, said the company would be interested in acquiring smaller operators in the region, according to the Financial Times.This list could potentially include players like Telecom Italia, as well as Netherlands-based KPN and Belgacom in Belgium, the report said.There has recently been a renewed focus on deal-making in Europe, although the focus has been on in-market consolidation rather than cross-border alliances.Pellissier said “there will be inter-country or intra-European consolidation” in the next five years where “players who are today playing on a single market or near to a single market, might be purchased by those who are bigger.”“For sure, one of those might be a target for us,” he added.However, he admitted that regulators may oppose consolidation.“The official political speech that the new executive body in Brussels of the Union will be more in favour of consolidation is not completely true,” he said, adding that “the view of the commission on the number of players, at least for most of the market, has not completely changed that four is better than three.”For his part, Pellissier believes “the situation with four players is not sustainable in the long term” in France and went on to say that the only player “not for sale in the French market is us.”Ultimately though, he said “the choice is not in our hands. It is up to others to decide what to do.”In March, Telecom Italia quashed speculation about a tie-up with Orange, with Giuseppe Recchi, chairman of the Italian player, stating there is “nothing on the table”, and that Telecom Italia is “focused on the Italian and Brazilian markets.”This was after Orange CEO Stephane Richard said that Telecom Italia presented “an attractive European consolidation opportunity,” only to later play down the comment saying it is a “purely internal discussion”.In some ways, an alliance between the two would make sense: there is no overlap between Orange’s European and African markets and those of Telecom Italia in Europe and Latin America.Orange is Europe’s second-largest service provider by number of subscribers and has been dealing with price wars in its home market of France ever since the arrival of low-cost operator Free in January 2012.Telecom Italia, which has struggled with debt, is often seen as a potential target, with its Brazilian assets particularly regarded as attractive.But it is also seeing signs of stabilisation in its home market, having invested heavily in improving the quality of its fixed and mobile networks. Saleha joined Mobile World Live in October 2014 as a reporter and works across all e-newsletters – creating content, writing blogs and reports as well as conducting feature interviews…More Read more Previous ArticleEricsson appears to backtrack on 50B connected device visionNext ArticleAT&T chief unsure of Google’s intention for mobile market AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 03 JUN 2015 Orange Ventures injects €30M into new fund Orange makes secure cloud pact for French market Saleha Riaz Telecom Italia confident on hitting annual goals Tags OrangeTelecom Italialast_img read more

Scores of Senegalese troops deployed to The Gambia test positive for…

first_imgBANJUL, GAMBIA – JANUARY 22: A soldier of ECOWAS troops patrols in a street after the former President Yahya Jammeh fled the country, in Banjul, Gambia on January 22, 2017. Yahya Jammeh left Gambia after agreeing to relinquish power earlier in the day, bring an end to a political crisis that has gripped the country since his election defeat last month. Soldiers track and control vehicles at crossing points. (Photo by Xaume Olleros/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images) BANJUL, GAMBIA – JANUARY 22: A soldier of ECOWAS troops patrols in a street after the former President Yahya Jammeh fled the country, in Banjul, Gambia on January 22, 2017. Yahya Jammeh left Gambia after agreeing to relinquish power earlier in the day, bring an end to a political crisis that has gripped the country since his election defeat last month.(Photo by Xaume Olleros/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)Scores of Senegalese soldiers deployed to neighboring The Gambia have tested positive for COVID-19.“Out of a contingent of over 600 men, fewer than 100 tested positive,” a Senegalese army spokesman said on Thursday.According to the spokesman, the army had recalled its soldiers to the village of Toubacouta just north of the Gambian border “as a precautionary measure.”Further tests were underway, the spokesman said, adding that the soldiers who had tested positive have been placed in a hotel in the coastal village of Guerero, some 60 kilometers (37 miles) south of the capital Dakar.He, however, did not specify when or where the soldiers had been infected.The troops are a part of a West African peacekeeping force deployed in January 2017 to The Gambia after the country’s former dictator, Yahya Jammeh, refused to hand over power after losing a presidential election. Mumbai mayor tests COVID-19 positive Related The Gambia’s President Barrow enters self-isolation after deputy tests positive for COVID-19center_img The majority of the troops in the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) force are Senegalese, which completely surrounds the tiny former British colony.“So far, The Gambia has recorded 3,239 COVID-19 cases with 99 fatalities.Senegal has recorded 14,150 cases and 293 fatalities. Gambia government ravaged by COVID-19last_img read more