HAMPTON, Ga. – What’s next? That’s the question that confronts Austin Dillon after last Sunday’s last-lap victory in the 60th Daytona 500, NASCAR’s most important and prestigious race.That triumph gave Dillon wins in two of NASCAR’s “majors.” Last year, he picked up his inaugural victory in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte and qualified for the postseason playoff for the second straight season. So, again, what’s next, now that Dillon has knocked two gigantic items off the bucket list?RELATED: How Dillon helped connect past, futureThe obvious choice is a series title. As a former champion in the NASCAR Xfinity and Camping World Truck Series, Dillon is the only driver currently eligible to be the first to complete the trifecta. That’s something the driver of the No. 3 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet already has thought about in depth.“I definitely have thought about that,” Dillon said on Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway, site of Sunday’s Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 (1 p.m. ET on FOX, PRN, SiriusXM). “That’s my goal is to be the first to win all three. I feel like that would be a heck of an accomplishment. I’ve thought about it a lot this week. After you win a huge race like that, what’s next? “In my eyes, that’s the next goal. That’s what we need to go to work on hard this year, because we’ve already got a great opportunity with the way the Playoffs work as being locked in.” MORE: Dillon, team celebrate win by getting tattoosDaytona is a restrictor-plate superspeedway, and conventional wisdom says the “real” open-motor season starts with the Monster Energy race at Atlanta. Dillon believes his team is prepared to run well at the intermediate speedways, too.“We’ll just keep rocking it however we can,” Dillon said. “We still have a lot to work on. We want to make this Camaro ZL1 good at all tracks. We’re looking forward to that. Been excited about it. “It’s a great start to the season. It definitely gets the momentum going. We just need to keep pounding.”RELATED: Crew member makes history with No. 3 team
Lancer 10U baseball team wins division title. The Lancer 10U baseball team, made up of students at Prairie Elementary, Highlands Elementary and Kansas City Christian, took their summer league division title on Monday. The team is coached by John Moore.Lancer Lacrosse players looking for equipment donations for mission trip. Lancer Lacrosse players Andy Swanson and Baker Stradinger are leaving on a mission trip to Jamaica later this summer where they will be teaching local kids the sport. The Swansons are asking anyone in the northeast Johnson County community with gently used equipment they no longer use for donations to take with them to Jamaica. Contact Baker ([email protected] or 913-909-2265) or Andy ([email protected] or 913-940-4730) to arrange for them to pick up donations.Bollier gets a third in Pan Am preliminary heat. Bobby Bollier of Mission Hills came back from a bout of pneumonia to take a third place in his preliminary Pan Am Games in Toronto. Bollier was not able to place in the finals. A 2012 graduate of Stanford, Bollier said he was proud to be able to represent his country at the games and hopes to keep pursuing a chance at an Olympic berth. [Bobby Bollier of Mission Hills takes eighth in butterfly at Pan Am Games – Kansas City Star]Non-profits can reserve tent at Mission Market. Area non-profits are invited to reserve the community tent for a week at the Mission Farm and Flower Market. The groups can promote their organizations during the Saturday market hours that will run until the end of September.The Northeast Johnson County morning roundup is brought to you by Twisted Sisters Coffee Shop on Johnson Drive. For updates on the latest blends and specialty drinks available, follow them on Facebook.
360p 720p HD 1/1 About Connatix V56892 The Timberwolves led for most of the first half but were outscored by 13 in the 2nd half to lose 103-95. Kevin Love led the Wolves with 24 points and 13 rebounds, Nikola Pekovic added 18 points and 10 rebounds and Luke Ridnour added 14 points. Wesley Mathews led Portland with 30 points.The Wolves shot 41 percent from the field and were 3-18 from 3-point range. Portland was 11-25 from 3-point range. The Wolves are 5-6 and will play at Golden State at 9:30 tonight, pregame on WJON at 9:00. About Connatix V56892 Auto (360p) Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Skip 1080p HD
MANCHESTER, England, CMC – West Indies captain Jason Holder has praised the England and Wales Cricket Board for the safety protocols implemented for the upcoming Test series, saying yesterday the Caribbean side felt “safe” after arriving here for the historic tour. He said having been flown from the Caribbean by private charter on Monday, the team had experienced a seamless transition from the airport to hotel, with little interaction with the public.The tour is taking place in the face of a global public health crisis triggered by the deadly COVID-19 pandemic that has already caused over 4 100 deaths in the United Kingdom.“I feel pretty safe. I must commend the ECB, they’ve been outstanding so far,” Holder told a media conference conducted via Zoom from Old Trafford here where the entire touring party has been quarantined for the next two weeks. “Arriving here in Manchester yesterday was pretty smooth. We just transitioned directly from the plane through a VIP arrival hall and then from there straight on the buses and directly to the hotel so we had no real interface with anyone from the public; obviously just the workers at the airport and here at the hotel as well.”The three-Test series will be the first of its kind to be played behind closed doors and under strict social distancing, health and sanitisation protocols.Players will be isolated from the public throughout the seven-week tour, first at the “bio-secure” Old Trafford facility and then at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton. The teams will return to Old Trafford for the final two Tests.Originally, the series had been carded for May but had to be postponed after the United Kingdom found itself in the grip of the COVID-19 pandemic.Negotiations between the ECB and Cricket West Indies resulted in the proposed series from July 8-28, with West Indies arriving a month prior to undergo the necessary quarantine and preparation. “Before coming here to England we all knew what was being posed,” Holder pointed out.“It was a situation of constant dialogue as to what a possible series would look like coming over here to the UK and at no point in time we forced anybody to come. Everybody had their free will. “I just think it’s a case where at some point or the other we had to resume some type of normalcy. We have been assured by the ECB that the relevant protocols have been put in place and so far since we’ve got here, everything has been smooth.” Holder, who oversaw the Windies’ capture of the coveted Wisden Trophy last year, said it was important that players adjusted to the new measures which were unavoidable across most sporting disciplines.“At the end of the day it’s not going to be the normal bilateral series here in England but at the end of the day this is where we are with the state of world cricket – state of the world per se,” he stressed.“I’ve been watching other sports on TV and it is different and no doubt it will be different but again, we’ve just got to get on with it and try to make the most of the circumstances in these trying times.”