If you are getting excited about seeing the solar eclipse in Alaska, the National Weather Service warns that the weather might not be in your favor. But, a partial eclipse will be visible in some parts of the state.Joe Wagmen with the National Weather Service in Anchorage: “Looks like over small strips over western Alaska from Gallina south and down to Dillingham look to be the best chance of seeing the eclipse today.” Portions of Mexico and eastern Canada will also experience a total solar eclipse. This will provide a second opportunity for people in the U.S. to experience one of nature’s most beautiful astronomical displays. Wagmen: “No! No! We are stuck in rain and clouds for the rest of the week at least.” Monday’s solar eclipse is being known as one of the biggest astronomical events of the year, but people that miss it will have the chance to see another in less than a decade. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享On Monday, August 21, a total solar eclipse will be visible within a band across the entire United States, passing from the Pacific to the Atlantic coast. For the full story: In Anchorage, the partial eclipse will begin at 8:21 a.m. and hit its maximum at 9:16 a.m. before ending at 10:13 a.m. Those of us in Kenai are going to have a little less visible of a view… On April 8, 2024, the shadow of the moon will once again completely block out the sun across the United States, this time from Texas to Maine.
iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — St. Louis native and disgraced former journalist Juan Thompson pleaded guilty on Tuesday to one count of cyber stalking and one count of making hoax bomb threats as part of his campaign to harass and intimidate a woman with whom he had a past relationship, according to the United States Attorney’s Office Southern District of New York.Acting U.S. Attorney Joon H. Kim announced in a statement that Thompson admitted to communicating at least 12 threats to Jewish Community Centers and other organizations in a woman’s name, identified as Victim-1.“Fueling fear and distress, Juan Thompson made fake bomb threats to over a dozen Jewish Community Centers and organizations around the country,” said Kim in the statement. “As he admitted Tuesday in pleading guilty, Thompson made these threats as part of a cruel campaign to cyber stalk a victim with whom he previously had a relationship. Thompson’s threats not only inflicted emotional distress on his victim, but also harmed Jewish communities around the country.”Kim thanked the FBI, New York Police Department, United States Secret Service and St. Louis Police Department for their commitment to investigating the case.If convicted, Thompson can face a maximum of five years in prison for cyber stalking and five years in prison for making hoax threats.According to details in the press release, Thompson, 32, started his month-long campaign to harass Victim-1 in July 2016 after she ended their relationship.In July, Thompson sent an email to Victim-1’s employer, making false allegations that she had broken the law, using an internet protocol (IP)address that he had once used to access his social media, said the press release. Then on Oct. 15, 2016, an IP address linked to Thompson’s residence was used to falsely report that Victim-1 possessed child pornography. When confronted by law enforcement on Nov. 22, 2016, Thompson denied that the IP address was his and claimed that his email account had been hacked, according to the statement.“Thompson also made at least 12 hoax threats targeting JCCs, organizations that provide service to and on behalf of the Jewish community, schools, and police departments,” added the statement.On or about Feb. 21, 2017, the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) received email threats to their Manhattan office that indicated that Victim-1 was behind the bomb threats against Jews and that she was planning to make more threats the next day. That following day, a call was placed to ADL stating that explosive material had been placed in their midtown Manhattan office, said the press release.In an effort to make it seem as though Victim-1 was trying to frame Thompson, Thompson also made some of the threats in his own name, according to the statement.“For instance, on or about February 7, 2017, a JCC in Manhattan received an emailed bomb threat from an anonymous email account that stated: ‘Juan Thompson [THOMPSON’s birthday] put two bombs in the office of the Jewish center today. He wants to create Jewish newtown tomorrow,’” said the press release.The email’s reference to “Jewish newtown” appeared to be in regards to the December 2012 school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, that resulted in 26 deaths.In addition to using his name in emails, Thompson also sent a tweet on Feb. 24, 2017 that tried to further prove his point that Victim-1 was attempting to frame him.According to the press release, the St. Louis native tweeted,“[S]he [Victim-1], though I can’t prove it, even sent a bomb threat in my name to a Jewish center, which was odd given her antisemitic statements. I got a visit from the FBI. So now I’m battling the racist FBI and this vile, evil, racist white woman.”On Feb. 26, 2017, Thompson’s Twitter account also tweeted, “The hatred of Jews goes across all demos. Ask NYC’s [Victim-1’s employer]. They employ a filthy anti-Semite in [Victim-1]. These ppl are evil.”Thompson was originally arrested by the FBI in St. Louis on March 3 in connection to the anti-Semitic threats.After his arrest, his former employer, online news site The Intercept, released a statement: “We were horrified to learn this morning that Juan Thompson, a former employee of The Intercept, has been arrested in connection with bomb threats against the ADL and multiple Jewish Community Centers in addition to cyberstalking. These actions are heinous and should be fully investigated and prosecuted.”The Intercept added that Thompson had been fired in January 2016 for fabricating sources and quotes in his articles.Thompson is scheduled to be sentenced by U.S. District Judge Kevin P. Castel on September 15.His arrest came after five waves of bomb threats were made at JCCs and Jewish schools nationwide this year. The JCC Association of North America reported a total of at least 100 incidents this year alone. No bombs were found at any of the locations. The FBI and the Justice Department’s civil rights division are investigating the incidents.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Related
MIDWAY — USGA officials weren’t sure and neither was Zecheng Dou, but the 15-year-old Dou might be the first-ever golfer from mainland China to play in the U.S. Public Links Championship.Dou is one of several rising stars from China that includes Andy Zhang, the 14-year-old who became the youngest U.S. Open entrant ever last month, and Shanshan Feng, who won the LPGA Championship last month.”China is getting good in golf,” Dou said. He has been coming to the U.S. for five years and stays in the Orlando area. He calls the Utah mountains “beautiful” and was happy to see how the altitude helped him hit the ball farther.Dou put himself in good position to make the cut for match play by firing an even-par 71, which put him in a tie for 18th place.YOUNGEST, OLDEST: The only player younger than Dou is Taisei Negishi of Hilo, Hawaii, who is 14 years old. The oldest player is Steve Groom of Raytown, Mo., who is playing in his ninth Public Links tournament.Golfers from 42 states are competing, with California having the most with 24, followed by Florida with 10. Six foreign countries are represented in the tournament.THIRD-TO-LAST: Until the United States Golf Association awarded the U.S. Public Links to Soldier Hollow, Utah was one of just three states in the country that had never played host to a USGA event.One of the other states was New Hampshire, which will host its first-ever USGA event next week when the U.S. Junior Amateur is played at The Golf Club at New England in Stratham, N.H.That leaves Alaska as the only state that has never hosted a USGA event.MILLER TIME: Among those watching the tournament Monday was Johnny Miller, who is the honorary chairman of the tournament.Miller has a home about 10 minutes from the course and he was cruising around watching the action with his friend Ken Leister.Miller may be back today and Wednesday, but after that he will be in Lake Orion, Mich., starting Thursday for the U.S. Senior Open.TOUGH DAY: South Africa’s Marais Lombard started off with four straight 6s on his card and ended up with six 6s on the front nine en route to a 50. He settled down on the back nine, however, with a 39, but his 89 was still the highest score in the opening round.In all, 20 players shot 80 or above at Solider Hollow on Monday.email: [email protected]