Small-town police chief killed during violence at George Floyd protests

first_imgamphotora/iStockBy BILL HUTCHINSON, ABC News(ST. LOUIS) —  A retired St. Louis police captain who became a small-town police chief was found fatally shot early Tuesday outside a pawn shop that was looted after protests over the death of George Floyd turned violent.David Dorn, 77, was discovered on the sidewalk in front of Lee’s Pawn & Jewelry in St. Louis around 2:30 a.m., said Police Commissioner John Hayden. He said Dorn, who retired from the St. Louis Police Department in 2007 and had been serving as police chief of Moline Acres, Missouri, since 2008, was killed when he apparently tried to stop the looting of the shop.“David Dorn was exercising law enforcement training that he learned here,” Hayden said. No further details were immediately released.His widow, Ann Marie Dorn, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that her husband was a friend of the pawn shop’s owner and frequently checked on the business when alarms went off.The death came on a brutal night for police across the country.A Las Vegas police officer on life support was last listed in critical condition after being shot Monday night attempting to disperse a large crowd of protesters outside a casino, authorities said.An officer was attacked in New York City, and four cops were shot in St. Louis as demonstrations across the nation in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death have turned increasingly violent for both protestors and police.At least five deaths have occurred during the widespread unrest, according to The New York Times.The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department officer was critically wounded engaging with violent protesters outside the Circus Circus Hotel & Casino on the famed Las Vegas Strip. Separately, police fatally shot a heavily armed man who appeared to be wearing body armor outside a federal courthouse nearby.“This is a sad night for LVMPD family and a tragic night for our community,” LVMPD Sheriff Joe Lombardo said at a news conference. “With these protests, which are leading to riots, one tragedy is only leading to another.”Lombardo said his officers were being pelted with rocks and bottles.“Our officers were attempting to get some of the protesters in custody when a shot rang out and our officer went down,” he added.The wounded officer was taken to Las Vegas University Medical Center, where he was in “extremely critical condition.”A suspect was arrested by a SWAT team, but that person’s name wasn’t immediately released, Lombardo added.While LVMPD officers were investigating the shooting, officers guarding the Foley Federal Building were confronted by an armed man around 11:22 p.m., Lombardo said. That suspect, who appeared to be wearing body armor, had multiple firearms.“During the interaction, the subject reached for his firearm and our officers engaged him,” Lombardo said. The suspect, who hasn’t yet been identified, died at the hospital. It’s unclear whether that individual had been among the protestors, Lombardo added.The four officers wounded in St. Louis on Monday night were shot near police headquarters, where clashes with rioters lasted well into the night.“They were standing near a line and all of a sudden they felt pain,” Police Commissioner Hayden said during a news conference Tuesday morning. “They were just standing there. So some coward fired shots at officers, and now we have four in the hospital … and thank God they’re alive. Can we make some sense out of this? … This is horrible.”The officers, ranging in age from 28 to 52, suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Before the shootings, demonstrators hurled rocks and fireworks at police, and some officers had gasoline dumped on them, Hayden added.Meanwhile in New York City, video emerged that appeared to show an officer being attacked with a heavy object by a group of men in the Bronx. The New York Police Department said it made nearly 700 arrests Monday night as looting and vandalism targets included stores at Rockefeller Center and some in the Upper East Side. A curfew of 11 p.m. had been put in effect.“We saw stuff last night that we will not accept. And we can fight back, and we will fight back,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a news conference on Tuesday. “I have confidence in the people of New York City, I have confidence in the leaders in communities, I have confidence in the NYPD.”“There’s a lot of people trying to express fear, a lot of people trying to tear down, a lot of people say they don’t believe in the people of this city, they don’t believe in people in our communities, they don’t believe in our police officers. To hell with all of them. I don’t care if they’re left or right or center — I am sick of people attacking New York City,” he continued.Floyd died May 25 in Minneapolis. His final moments were captured in a searing video of a white officer with his knee on Floyd’s black neck as he pleaded for his life. “I can’t breathe,” Floyd said.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Hart nearly misses his beat

first_imgA Briton travelling to Brussels by Eurostar nearly missed a recent train after security guards were unable to identify a suspicious object in his suitcase.But so what? Well, the man in question was none other than City of London police commissioner James Hart – ironically one of the UK’s foremost security experts. Hart was on his way to a British Chamber of Commerce conference on economic crime and corruption and to brief the UK embassy.last_img

Goodyear Appoints John ‘Jack’ Fish as Senior Vice President of Global Operations

first_imgAKRON, Ohio — Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. has announced the appointment of John “Jack” Fish as senior vice president of global operations. Fish replaces Christopher Clark, senior vice president of global sourcing, who in June announced his intention to retire after 36 years with the company. AdvertisementClick Here to Read MoreAdvertisement At Goodyear, Fish will be responsible for overseeing manufacturing and related supply chain activities throughout all of the corporation’s global business units. He will join the company on Oct. 5. “Jack had an impressive track record at General Electric of improving global manufacturing and supply chain processes to drive customer service, efficiency and quality,” said Robert Keegan, Goodyear’s chairman and chief executive officer. “We are extremely pleased to welcome Jack as part of our team, and at the same time want to thank Chris Clark for his many valuable contributions throughout his 36 years with Goodyear.” Fish, 52, spent almost 29 years with General Electric Co., most recently serving as vice president of consumer global supply chain for GE’s Consumer and Industrial business, headquartered in Louisville, Ky. “Jack’s background and experience are a great fit for Goodyear,” said Richard Kramer, Goodyear’s chief operating officer and president, North American Tire. “We are confident that Jack’s demonstrated leadership will help us take our efforts on global advantaged supply chain and productivity to the next level, in particular as it relates to our new four-year contract with the United Steelworkers.” Fish began his career in 1980 with GE’s Aircraft Engines business, where he served in a variety of operations, manufacturing and quality control roles until 1996. Fish joined GE’s Transportation Systems business in 1997 as general manager of global supply chain. In 2001, he was elected as an officer of the company and promoted to vice president of supply chain for the Global Lighting business, and, in 2004, he moved to his most recent role with the Consumer and Industrial business.Advertisement Fish received his bachelor’s degree in manufacturing engineering technology from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, and his MBA from Xavier University in Cincinnati.last_img read more

Mo Farah retains 10,000 metres world title

first_imgBritain’s Mo Farah survived a last-lap trip to retain his 10,000 metres world title in some style on Saturday, extending his dominance of men’s distance running at major championships.Almost tripped up by Kenya’s Geoffrey Kamworor as he took the first bend after the bell, the 32-year-old regained his balance and his composure to storm down the final straight and finish in 27 minutes 01.13 seconds.Farah, who has endured a difficult few months after his coach was the subject of doping allegations, raised his arms and roared in delight as he crossed the line. Kamworor was outpaced over the final 100 metres but finished second in 27.01.76 to claim silver, while his compatriot Paul Tanui was third in 27.02.83.A trio of Kenyans formed an imposing barrier at the front of the field for most of the race and the last-lap clash was only the worst of several points of contact with the Briton after he came through the pack to challenge them in the latter stages.”So many times I nearly got tripped, nearly went down but thank God I did not go down,” Farah told the BBC in a trackside interview.”There were three or four times that I nearly went down. I’ve got long strides so it’s easy to catch. But I don’t know if (they) deliberately tried to take me out either. I don’t know what to think about it.”The reigning Olympic and world 5,000 and 10,000 metres champion has now won six straight distance titles at major championships going back to his second place in the longer event at the 2011 world championships in Daegu.advertisementHis season has been overshadowed by allegations in a BBC investigation linking his coach Alberto Salazar with doping. Salazar, also the coach of American Galen Rupp who finished fifth on Saturday, denies any wrongdoing.Although there has never been any suggestion that Farah has been guilty of doping, the Briton said the disruption had taken its toll on his preparations for Beijing.”It wasn’t easy to do after (the year) I’ve had,” he said. “I’ve just had to let my running do the talking and just keep winning medals. That’s what I’m good at.”It’s not easy running 27 minutes in this heat.”The last lap, that was close. I honestly thought at one point I was gone because I stumbled.”Farah will attempt to become the first man to do the 5,000-10,000 double at consecutive world championships at the Bird’s Nest Stadium next Saturday.last_img read more