Largest health insurer on Colorado exchange collapses — 83,000 must hunt…

first_imgDENVER |Colorado’s biggest nonprofit health insurer announced its closure Friday, forcing nearly 83,000 Coloradans to find a new insurer for 2016.Colorado HealthOP announced Friday that the state Division of Insurance has said it can’t keep selling health insurance. That’s because the cooperative relied on federal support, and federal authorities announced last month they wouldn’t be able to pay most of what they owed to a program designed to help health insurance co-ops get established.The Colorado announcement makes the co-op the seventh in the nation to collapse. Similar nonprofit insurers have already failed in Kentucky, Louisiana, Iowa/Nebraska, Nevada, New York and Tennessee.Open enrollment for 2016 starts Nov. 1. The Colorado Division of Insurance must first certify insurers before they’re allowed to sell plans, so the decision essentially puts Colorado HealthOP out of business.In a statement announcing its closure Friday, Colorado HealthOP said it was “well on its way” to repaying some $72.3 million it has borrowed from the federal fund. The co-op reported a net loss of $23 million last year.Colorado HealthOP CEO Julia Hutchins called the de-certification “irresponsible and premature.”“The Division has let local and national politics hurt Coloradans’ access to low-cost health care options and assessed Colorado taxpayers with significant avoidable costs,” Hutchins said in the statement.The Division of Insurance released a statement saying it had no choice but to order Colorado HealthOP closed. Insurance Commissioner Marguerite Salazar said in a statement that the lack of federal support put the co-op at risk of not being able to cover claims.“I sympathize with the HealthOP, but the Division has requirements and it has to protect consumers,” Salazar wrote.Colorado HealthOP’s board of directors has requested that the state allow a board-appointed independent consumer protection ombudsman to assist through the shut-down.Republicans pointed to the co-op’s closure as a sad but predictable outcome.“Taxpayers are on the hook for millions of dollars in loans given out to the CO-OP, money that will likely never be repaid,” U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner said in a statement after the announcement. When Gardner was in the House, he joined other Republicans in a 2013 bill to repeal the fund in question.Hutchins pointed out that the payments to insurance cooperatives have been offset by tax credit insurance subsidies going to larger insurers, and that those least able to afford insurance will be most hurt by the national wave of co-op closures.“We need to step back and look at the hundreds of thousands of people who are losing access to low-cost coverage,” Hutchins said.One Republican echoed her thoughts, saying the co-op failures could drive up costs for all. Colorado HealthOP accounted for nearly 40 percent of the exchange’s total customers, so its departure shakes up the overall exchange dramatically.“I really wonder about the viability of the exchange,” said Rep. Lang Sias, R-Arvada and a member of a legislative health insurance oversight committee.Sias said rates for everyone will go up next year.“They’re all going to be paying more, on average, I would expect,” Sias said.___Kristen Wyatt can be reached at https://www.twitter.com/APkristenwyattlast_img read more

Rookies CJ Perez, Robert Bolick get Gilas Pilipinas invite

first_imgMOST READ Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP View comments Guiao also revealed that aside from NorthPort’s Robert Bolick, Columbian’s CJ Perez has also expressed interest in heeding the country’s call.The Dyip rookie was the overall pick in the recent PBA Draft while the Batang Pier’s freshman was the third. For Guiao, both are welcome options in the event that a contingency plan is needed. “Although there will just be 12 in the [final] lineup, we would be needing one or two as a backup just in case injuries crop up,” the mentor said.  “[Just] like what happened to Raymond (Almazan) when he got injured in our practice in Kazakhstan. Those things can happen.”But more than that, Guiao stressed that such move is in preparation for the long haul.ADVERTISEMENT “Of course, I do not discount [the possibility] that they could break into the lineup,” he said of Perez and Bolick. “And if we’re really sending pros into the SEA Games, they would be good candidates to get their international experience going.”“If we start them early, that’s going to give guys like Paul (Lee) and Mark (Barroca) a break should they want to take one come SEA Games. After all, I think we’re competitive with these [crop] of guys, should we really send pros to the event.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport FILE – CJ Perez. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netBATANGAS — National team coach Yeng Guiao on Sunday said that he wants to bury the proverbial hatchet apropos of Ray Parks Jr.’s decision to decline Gilas Pilipinas’ invitation to attend Gilas pool trainings for the FIBA World Cup.“Let’s end that episode,” Guiao told a handful of reporters shortly after his NLEX Road Warriors absorbed a 100-85 beating at the hands of Barangay Ginebra at Batangas City Coliseum.ADVERTISEMENT Duterte wants probe of SEA Games messcenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Kiefer Ravena ‘most logical choice’ as replacement for Jayson Castro at Gilas, says Yeng Guiao DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles LATEST STORIES “For me, when you play for the national team, it should be a hundred percent commitment,” he added. “And if you’re half-hearted, I suggest that you might as well don’t.”According to reports Thursday, Guiao said that Blackwater rookie Parks Jr. declined to pass up on the invitation to join the talent pool’s drum up for the global meet in China.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“I talk to the players who come in for Gilas and I ask them: ‘Are you committed?’ ‘Are you willing to make the sacrifice?’” Guiao shared. “If [some] are not really that committed, It would really be better to give out the slot to somebody who really wants to play,” he added. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krausslast_img read more