Rail freight deal remains unlikely this year

first_img“The EU rail sector is in a bad way. If it is going to have a future at all, something will have to give.” The Finnish presidency hailed the agreement reached by transport ministers in the early hours of Thursday morning as a significant step forward, but diplomats are warning that no one should start popping the champagne corks yet.Although Helsinki persuaded EU member states to commit themselves to establishing a harmonised charging system and granting foreign firms access to international freight services, even Transport Minister Olli-Pekka Heinonen conceded that the meeting’s conclusions were worded in such a way that they could be interpreted differently by individual member states.This means that a final deal on a detailed package of measures could still be a long way off, although Heinonen insisted that significant progress had been made. “It was extremely important to get this concept on board so that we can continue the process,” he told European Voice this week. “This was a first step forward and now we will go to the concrete questions.” At last week’s ministerial meeting, member states agreed to work on several measures aimed at luring freight traffic away from Europe’s increasingly congested roads. Rail now carries less than 14% of EU freight traffic, less than half its share of the market in 1970.Ministers agreed, for example, to grant all licensed Union railway undertakings access to international freight services, in line with the European Com-mission’s plan to make Europe’s railways more competitive.But Paris is still expected to resist any attempts by outsiders to gain access to the country’s rail infrastructure, even though it signed up to the Finnish-brokered compromise.Germany and the UK are also refusing to back down over their demands for the right to be able to charge as much as they want for access to infrastructure, even though a majority of member states want to limit charges as much as possible.When it took over the Union presidency in July, Finland vowed to make getting agreement on the Commission’s rail liberalisation proposals a top priority for its six-month stint in charge of Union business, but progress has been held up by French stubbornness. Given that, said one diplomat, the Finns “really did as much as they could” last week.“We finally have common ground on the important principles. That to me is movement,” he said, although he warned that huge obstacles would still have to be overcome before a final deal could be reached.last_img read more

Lady Spikers heads to semis, eliminates UE

first_img“Bumawi doon sa mga bumawi sa amin noong first round so ’yon muna ang goal namin and then kung kakayanin ma-sweep ang second round isa ’yon sa mga goals namin,” added De Jesus, glad to see the Lady Spikers get back at the Lady Warriors, who won their first-round match in four sets.“Well after siguro ng mga losses namin noong first round siguro nakita nila ’yong problema and unti-unti namin binuo ’yon, ’yong goal,” said de Jesus.“Sa nakikita ko ngayon mas determined silang manalo every game and nakita na nila kung ano ang role nila as a player inside the court,” he added.La Salle dominated UE in attacks 39-12, had nine points on blocks against two by the Lady Warriors, and also had five service aces against one by the bottom team in the one-hour and nine-minute match.“Kasi kapag nagkaroon ng chance ang team na tapusin ng straight sets pinipilit namin pero kung hindi talaga kaya ang goal namin ’yung manalo na lang eh,” said de Jesus.La Salle will face University of Santo Tomas on April 8 after a two-week break, Adamson University on April 11 and Ateneo on April 15.Shaya Adorador scored 5 points for Lady Warriors, out of contention with a 2-10 win-loss record. (SPIN.ph) Majoy Baron (center) scores for La Salle Lady Spikers, which made it to nine wins in 11 outings. MARLO CUETO FOR SPIN.PH MANILA – Three-peat seeking La Salle advanced to the Final Four after a 25-8, 25-14, 25-12 rout of University of the East in the UAAP Season 80 women’s volleyball tournament on Saturday at The Arena in San Juan.Skipper Majoy Baron scored 13 and Kim Dy had 11 points for the Lady Spikers, who extended its winning run to five and improved to 9-2 to book its ninth straight semis appearance.But La Salle coach Ramil de Jesus does not want to focus on the Final Four just yet.“Sa ngayon hindi ko pa iniisip ang Final Four basta ang iniisip ko ’pag may dumating na kalaban paghandaan,” said the 10-time UAAP champion coach.last_img read more

Blue Sox 14U Team Captures Tier II Title; Blue Sox 11U in Finals

first_imgThe St. Cloud Blue Sox 14U team captured the AA Section II Tier II Gopher State title Sunday with a 6-3 win over Sauk Rapids in the finals.The Blue Sox 14U AA team is coached by Corey Bertram.The Blue Sox 11U AA team will play for the 11AA Tier I Gopher State Championship tonight against Delano in Brooklyn Park.  The Blue Sox advanced to this point with a 10-2 win over Wayzata in the semifinals.  The Blue Sox 11U team is coached by Kevin Allenspach. Auto (360p) About Connatix V56892 1080p HD Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Skip The Blue Sox 12U AA team will play for the 12AA Tier II Section I Gopher State Title Tuesday in Brooklyn Park against Rockford.center_img 360p 720p HD 1/1 About Connatix V56892last_img read more

Kemba Walker, Enes Kanter officially join Celtics

first_img“We always go through every scenario,” he said. “But nobody was looking at what we weren’t going to be. We don’t ever look at it that way.”That’s when Ainge went to work.Walker was signed to a four-year, $141 million deal — the most Boston could offer, but $80 million less than the Charlotte Hornets could have paid him over five seasons. (The Celtics also announced on Wednesday that they have re-signed forward Daniel Theis and guard Brad Wanamaker.)“This was our Plan A,” Ainge said, sitting between Walker and Kanter for the news conference at the team’s practice facility. “Getting Kemba was a top priority in free agency.”Walker won the NCAA championship at UConn, beating Stevens’ Butler team in the 2011 title game. He referred to the championship banners hanging from the ceiling at the Auerbach Center, and the new Boston Garden, and said he hoped to have a chance to win again after reaching the playoffs just twice, losing in the first round both times, in eight seasons with the Hornets.“Charlotte is all I’ve known,” he said. “It all came down to my happiness and how I want to compete night in and night out. My time was up there. I’m ready to start a new chapter.”Ainge wasted no time — even before Walker agreed to a deal — putting him to work. The GM handed Walker his phone so he could help recruit Kanter.It worked.“That made me very excited,” Kanter said. “An All-Star guy, a superstar, calling me and saying he wants me to be here. That made me feel very special. I called my manager and said that seems like a good place to be.” LOOK: LJ Reyes, Paolo Contis celebrate 1st birthday of baby Summer Benefits of township living Newly acquired Boston Celtics guard Kemba Walker (8) and center Enes Kanter (11) pose with their team jerseys at the Celtics’ basketball practice facility, Wednesday, July 17, 2019, in Boston. Looking on is team general manager Danny Ainge. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)BOSTON — Enes Kanter took a playful swipe at him.Kemba Walker will try to replace him.ADVERTISEMENT Sons Of Apollo releases new studio album ‘MMXX’ Steaming fissures on Taal Volcano Island spotted ‘Marawi hero’ is new commander of Army’s 1st Infantry Division General manager Danny Ainge took pains to stress that he doesn’t blame Irving for the team’s disappointing season.“The last point guard, it didn’t end like we wanted this year, but it certainly wasn’t his fault,” Ainge said.Irving, who had spoken about his desire to finish his career in Boston — and have his number retired — opted out of his contract and signed with the Brooklyn Nets. Fans were mostly glad to see him go, and Walker played along on Wednesday, joking with a reporter about the Earth being flat — a reference to another famous Irving comment.Al Horford also jumped ship, meaning the Celtics had lost their biggest acquisition from two of the last three offseasons.Instead of adding role players to make another run at an 18th NBA title, they needed replacements for their stars. But coach Brad Stevens said he never spent any time worrying about whether the roster was in need of a multi-season rebuild.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MRT-3 files raps vs engineer who brought ammunition to station Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite PLAY LIST 02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu01:26Homes destroyed after Taal Volcano eruption02:48ABS-CBN franchise has ‘natural deadline,’ no need for quo warranto — Gatchalian Kyrie Irving is no longer with the Celtics, but his brief flameout in Boston is still on the minds of fans in the city and even, apparently, players who have yet to play a minute for the team.On the day that the Celtics introduced Walker as their point guard of the future, Kanter said he chose the No. 11 last worn in Boston by Irving in part because it was his number in Oklahoma City in 2016-17. But he also quoted a commercial in which Irving aspired to have the number retired in his honor.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubs“I want to be the reason no one else wears it,” Kanter said, cracking up himself and the media at the introductory news conference he shared with Walker. “I had to say it.”Irving was the Celtics’ big free agency splash two summers ago, when he asked the Cleveland Cavaliers to trade him and they shipped him to Boston for the immensely popular Isaiah Thomas. The Celtics, who had just lost to Cleveland in the conference finals, returned to the East finals the next year — when Irving was injured — but bowed out in the second round this season, when he was healthy. Duterte lambasts Catholic Church anew in curse-laden speech before Filipino Baptists MOST READ Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Canelo Alvarez to skip September fight date LATEST STORIES View commentslast_img read more

On time, off kilter

first_imgTHAT faint thudding you hear may be the sound of California’s legislators and governor patting each other on the back. They are quite pleased with themselves, having passed the first on-time budget in six years. Which is to say, they’ve done their job, a job for which they are handsomely paid. But beyond getting the work done on time, have they done their job very well? The explanation for all of this year’s bipartisanship and harmony has a lot less to do with a change in attitude than a reversal of fortune. It’s easy to get along when you have $8 billion in unexpected revenues – courtesy of a red-hot economy – to spread around. There was enough money for everyone’s pet projects. Still, the budget contains some worthy highlights. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2For starters, there are no new taxes, and the state will pay down some $2.8 billion in debts. That includes $1.4 billion in gas-tax funds that have been siphoned away from transportation projects in the past. And community-college students will get a much-needed reduction in fees. But there are also some problems. Spending in the new budget comes to $131 billion – an 8.4 percent increase from last year. All in all, spending is up 30 percent from the $101 billion budget Gov. Gray Davis signed in 2003, just months before being recalled, in part for being a reckless big spender. Despite soaring revenues, the state will still spend $3.4 billion more this coming year than it will take in, an imbalance made up from previous years’ surpluses. And the budget will leave the state with a $4.5 billion deficit for Fiscal Year 2007-08. That’s assuming, of course, that the economy stays strong and revenues live up to lawmakers’ rosy expectations. If not, lawmakers’ “rainy day” reserve fund of $2 billion could easily be wiped out. Politicians can applaud themselves for passing a budget that’s on time and balanced. That will help them in November’s elections. But it will do little to bring California closer to fiscal responsibility.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more