CU role in Dream Chaser spacecraft to continue under new NASA grant to Sierra Nevada Corp.

first_imgShare Share via TwitterShare via FacebookShare via LinkedInShare via E-mail CU Aerospace Engineering professor and former NASA astronaut Jim Voss poses with students and a spacecraft model, the Dream Chaser, used for teaching purposes and housed at a hangar in Centennial Airport. Students outside of the craft: Aerospace graduate students Christine Fanchiang, Taylor Donaldson. Inside the cockpit: Chad Healy, left, and Ben Kemper, Aerospace Engineering undergrad. (Photo by Glenn Asakawa/University of Colorado) Published: April 21, 2011 Faculty and students at the University of Colorado Boulder will continue to play a significant role in the development of the Dream Chaser, a commercial spacecraft that will be used to carry astronauts to low Earth orbit, thanks to a new $80 million grant from NASA to Sierra Nevada Corp.The Louisville, Colo.-based aerospace company was one of four companies to receive grants this week from NASA’s Commercial Crew Development program. The grant is a follow-on to Sierra Nevada’s NASA grant of $20 million for the Dream Chaser last year.Roughly the size of a business jet, the 30-foot-long Dream Chaser is slated to launch vertically on an Atlas V rocket and land horizontally on conventional runways, similar to the much larger space shuttle. The spacecraft is based on NASA’s earlier HL-20 lifting body design.As part of its continuing development of the Dream Chaser, Sierra Nevada will fund “human rating” research led by CU-Boulder Professor David Klaus of the aerospace engineering sciences department, according to Jim Voss, a CU faculty member and vice president of Sierra Nevada. Human rating research is aimed at developing a methodology for evaluating safety and operational aspects of spacecraft intended to transport crew.”This is a great industry-academia collaboration that combines providing design input for the Dream Chaser to Sierra Nevada with four related thesis topics being pursued by Ph.D. students in our program,” Klaus said.Sierra Nevada also will sponsor and fund a continuation of the CU-Boulder graduate student project involving Dream Chaser displays and controls, Voss said. The graduate project is focused on cockpit design and ergonomics evaluation to determine the best placement and type of controls to be used by the crew. The students are being advised by Voss and his colleague Joe Tanner, both of whom joined the CU-Boulder faculty after retiring as NASA astronauts.Klaus, who heads the aerospace department’s bioastronautics focus area, has set up a laboratory in CU-Boulder’s Engineering Center housing three mock-ups of the spacecraft. One is a full-scale model of the Dream Chaser based on the earlier HL-20 design that is on loan from NASA to Sierra Nevada; another is a 15 percent scale model unit that was used for flight testing last December, and the third is the cockpit section being used to evaluate the layout for instrument displays and controls. A “public day” is being planned so that the community will have a chance to view the project.”The University of Colorado and Sierra Nevada Corporation have formed a partnership that allows use of the tremendous intellectual resources of students and professors to help develop a commercial human spacecraft, the Dream Chaser,” said Voss. “I’m really pleased to continue the work that was started last year and look forward to more student involvement with this exciting project.” Categories:Science & TechnologySpaceNews Headlineslast_img read more

Relief for Nigeria’s DISCOs through $500m World Bank support project

first_img Low carbon, solar future could increase jobs in the future – SAPVIA AFD and Eskom commit to a competitive electricity sector The Nigeria Distribution Sector Recovery Programme (DISREP) will help improve service quality, as well as the financial and technical performance of distribution companies by providing financing based on performance and reduction of losses. In addition, financial support will be provided to private distribution companies only on the achievement of results in terms of access connections, improved financial management and network expansion.  Specifically, it will ensure that distribution companies make necessary investments to rehabilitate networks, install electric meters for more accurate customer billing and to improve quality of service for those already connected to the grid. According to Kulichenko, the programme will also make meters available at affordable prices to all consumers in Nigeria, “a long pending demand of Nigerians”. Generation The programme will reduce the CO2 emissions of the Nigerian power sector by reducing technical losses, increasing energy efficiency, replacing diesel and biomass with grid-electricity, and investing more in on- and offgrid renewable energy.  NOPPAKHOON SRIKOOLNA The World Bank has approved $500 million to support the government of Nigeria in improving its electricity distribution sector. DISREP supports the development of regulatory guidance on climate-resilient infrastructure and facilitates the inclusion of climate risks in decision making. UNDP China, CCIEE launch report to facilitate low-carbon development Finance and Policy Have you read?Nigeria: Confusion about the latest electricity tariffs increase Nataliya Kulichenko, World Bank task team leader for the project, explained:“The programme will only be eligible to those DISCOs that transparently declare their performance reports to public with actual flow of funds based on strict verification of achieved performance targets by an independent third party.” It will also help strengthen the financial and technical management of DISCOs to improve the transparency and accountability of the distribution sector.  center_img The project will help boost electricity access by improving the performance of the Electricity Distribution Companies (DISCOs) through a large-scale metering programme. This project complements the support provided under the Power Sector Recovery Operation (PSRO)approved in June 2020.  RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR DISCOs play an important role in energy access BRICS News from our archivesNigeria: Gov and discos will sign a performance improvement plan TAGSdiscosNigeriarevenue managementWorld Bank Previous articleOp-ed: Make your voice heard about new nuclear power in South AfricaNext articleBrazil: Energy efficiency report highlights COVID-19 impact Nicolette Pombo-van ZylAs the Editor of ESI Africa, my passion is on sustainability and placing African countries on the international stage. I take a keen interest in the trends shaping the power & water utility market along with the projects and local innovations making headline news. Watch my short weekly video on our YouTube channel ESIAfricaTV and speak with me on what has your attention. Eighty-five million Nigerians do not have access to grid electricity. This represents 43% of the country’s population making the West Africa country the largest energy access deficit in the world. The lack of reliable power is a significant constraint for citizens and businesses, resulting on annual economic losses estimated at $26.2 billion (₦10.1 trillion). This loss is equivalent to about 2% of the GDP. Have you watched?Morning Coffee: Build back better in Nigeria Nigeria’s policy support looks to the future Chaudhuri added: “The operation will help improve the financial viability of the DISCOs and increase revenues for the whole Nigerian power sector, which is critical to save scarce fiscal resources and create jobs by increasing the productivity of private and public enterprises”. According to the 2020 World Bank Doing Business report, Nigeria ranks 171 out of 190 countries in getting electricity and electricity access is seen as one of the major constraints for the private sector. Shubham Chaudhuri, World Bank Country Director, commented: “Improving access and reliability of power is key to reduce poverty and unlocking economic growth in the aftermath of the global COVID-19 pandemic.”last_img read more

Vossloh signs turnout framework deals worth €100m

first_imgEUROPE: Vossloh has agreed multi-year framework deals for the supply of turnout components to Sweden and Italy.The agreement with Swedish transport agency Trafikverket runs for four years and has two options each for extensions of two years, which could take the total value to more than €75m. The components are to be supplied by Vossloh’s Swedish business within its Customised Modules division.‘We are pleased that the renewed trust Trafikverket placed in Vossloh will allow us to continue our successful co-operation with them’, said Vossloh CEO Andreas Busemann on April 17. ‘The renewed contract is a sign of the reliability of our products.’The agreement with Italy’s RFI is worth €25m over two years. It covers the supply of components for high-speed turnouts from France-based production units of the Customised Modules division. This deal ‘will enable Vossloh to sustain our well-established market position in Italy’, said Busemann.last_img read more

Wimbledon Open Day One (Men’s Singles Recap): Federer Progresses As Wawrinka Dumps Out Sixth…

first_imgWorld number two Roger Federer is through to the second round at the ongoing Wimbledon Open after he made light work of Serbian Dusan Lajovic.The defending champion defeated Lajovic 6-1 6-3 6-4 in their first round in 79 minutes as he began his bid for a record-extending ninth men’s title in grand style.After his win, Federer told BBC Sport that: “I felt good from the start, which was not the case when I played him last year.”“I felt at home.” The Swiss tennis legend added.Federer’s compatriot and three-time Grand Slam champion Stanislas Wawrinka also won his first round match.Wawrinka, who has dropped to 224 in the men’s ranking because of injury, defeated Dimitrov 1-6 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (7-5) 6-4 in four sets to move into the next round.Third seed and 2017 finalist Marin Cilic saw off Yoshito Nishioka of Japan 6-1 6-4 6-4 to book his place in the second round.Newly married American Sam Querrey was also one of the winners on Day 1 after he won Jordan Thompson in straight sets.Querrey, 30, who got married to Abby Dixon in June defeated Thompson 6-2 6-4 6-3.He thereafter revealed that he had postponed his honeymoon plans so as to step up his grass-court preparations for Wimbledon.In his words, Querrey said: “We went home for three days and flew over for Queen’s, if you count that as a honeymoon!”“I don’t think Abby does. Maybe at the end of the year, we will do a honeymoon somewhere close to where we live.” He concluded.Relatedlast_img read more