FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail During the course of the academic year, the Ministry of Education plans to develop and expose children to material that will lead them towards behaviour change and basic and broadly acceptable values.Portfolio Minister, Rev. the Hon. Ronald Thwaites, said the move comes against the background of what appears to be a “national ambivalence about values within the society” where “some of the certainties of the past are no longer accepted”. He stated that as a nation “we need to consensually agree on the values and attitudes that we are willing to accept as a people”.The Minister was addressing the opening ceremony of the Jamaica Independent Schools Association Principals’ Conference 2013, on Wednesday, April 24, at the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort and Spa in Ocho Rios, St. Ann.Mentioning the recent withdrawal of printed material from the Health and Family Life Education curriculum, Rev. Thwaites said the Government’s position on the matter is very clear.“Our notion of healthy family life is the relationship between a man and a woman, with tolerance and compassion for those who have adopted a different lifestyle, but we are certainly not going to direct people in terms of something that we do not consider normal,” he stated.The Education Minister noted that the criticisms received in relation to that issue have caused queries from some people as to what should be accepted with regards to good social values. He insisted that there are some things that Jamaicans have to be clear about as it relates to values.Rev. Thwaites argued that simplicity in lifestyle, respect for each other, faithfulness and solidarity “are a few of the basic things that are useful in terms of building a society and making individuals happy”.He appealed for the help of the independent schools in building good social values and fostering behaviour change.By Bryan Miller, JIS Reporter Jamaicans Must Agree on Common Set of Values – Minister Thwaites EducationApril 29, 2013 RelatedSeven Primary Schools in East Kingston Get Tablet Computers Advertisements RelatedJamaicans Must Agree on Common Set of Values – Minister Thwaites RelatedJamaicans Must Agree on Common Set of Values – Minister Thwaites
Matthew Morrison Star Files Here’s a quick roundup of stories you might have missed recently.Andrew Barth Feldman to Co-Host the Roger Rees AwardsThe Broadway Education Alliance has announced that the tenth annual presentation of the Roger Rees Awards for Excellence in Student Performance, a celebration of high school musical programs, will be held on June 1 at 7:30PM ET on BEA’s YouTube channel. Roger Rees Award winner, former Dear Evan Hansen star and Broadway.com vlogger Andrew Barth Feldman will host the ceremony alongside NY1’s Frank DiLella. This online event will feature New York area high school students in multiple musical numbers, including an opening anthem “As Long as There Is Love” from the Broadway production of Mrs. Doubtfire. A panel of Broadway professionals, including Mrs. Doubtfire star Rob McClure, will announce the Best Actor and Best Actress high school performers in the Greater New York region during the show.The 24 Hour Plays Announces COVID & Incarceration EditionThe 24 Hour Plays: Viral Monologues is collaborating with several arts and advocacy organizations, including the Broadway Advocacy Coalition and the Center for Institutional and Social Change at Columbia Law School, to feature real stories from those currently and previously incarcerated, their families and the advocates serving them during the COVID-19 pandemic. This week, playwrights will be paired with individuals who are currently or formerly incarcerated and advocates to hear their stories, either from live calls or previously documented material. The playwrights will then be paired with actors from TV, film and Broadway to write, rehearse and record monologues released in 24 hours. “COVID & Incarceration” will air on May 12 on IGTV; from 6PM ET on, the new monologues will be published, one every 15 minutes. Writers include Lemon Andersen, Hilary Bettis, Jessica Blank and Erik Jensen, Jordan E. Cooper, Emily Mann, DeRay Mckesson, Nsangou Njikam, and Liza Jessie Peterson. Actors will be announced at a later date.NYC’s Shetler Studios Closes After 30 YearsShetler Studios is closing as a result of financial hardship caused by the coronavirus crisis. “The path to recovery is simply too steep for our small company,” reads a statement the company’s founder and owner Ron Shetler and Managing Artistic Director Robin A. Paterson shared on the Shetler Studios Instagram. For 30 years, the space, located on Broadway and West 54th Street, provided rehearsal space to the New York theater community.Norm Lewis to Perform on Memorial For Us AllTony nominee Norm Lewis is slated to perform on May 17 at 6PM ET on Memorial For Us All. The regular Sunday broadcast offers its viewers unity, comfort and healing through music. Anyone who has lost a loved one during the COVID-19 pandemic is invited to submit the name of a friend or family member to be honored on the broadcast. More than 300 community members from New York City and beyond have submitted names. Names can be submitted here.Long Wharf Theatre Announces Staged at Home Virtual GalaLong Wharf Theatre has announced that its 2020 gala is going digital. Staged at Home will be a star-studded benefit concert, featuring performances from Broadway stars, including Laura Benanti, Stephanie J. Block, Matthew Morrison, Robin De Jesús, Norm Lewis, Kelli O’Hara and Bryce Pinkham. The event will begin on June 8 at 6:30PM ET with a half-hour pre-show, including a five-course dinner party, red-carpet showcase and video chat room preceding the concert. Tickets will go on sale May 11 at 10AM ET.P.S. Watch this video of the Riverdance casts around the world showing appreciation for essential workers. Bryce Pinkham Kelli O’Hara Robin De Jesus Norm Lewis Andrew Barth Feldman(Photo: Caitlin McNaney for Broadway.com) Laura Benanti Rob McClure View Comments View All (10) Andrew Barth Feldman Brian Stokes Mitchell Stephanie J. Block
Session ID: 2020-09-19:cc93040a260ef6b9dfb6b56c Player ID: videojs-brightcove-player-667803-4125576933001 OK Close Modal DialogCaption Settings DialogBeginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsDefaultsDoneClose Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Both USC volleyball teams are helping to raise awareness for former volleyball player Amy Collinsworth who is battling an aggressive brain tumor. Play VideoPlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 0:00Loaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%0:00 Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1ChaptersChaptersdescriptions off, selectedDescriptionssubtitles off, selectedSubtitlescaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedCaptionsAudio TrackFullscreenThis is a modal window. The Video Cloud video was not found. Error Code: VIDEO_CLOUD_ERR_VIDEO_NOT_FOUND
Stationary exercise bikes, cafes and virtual reality are on the wishlist of features Qantas passengers would like to see on ultra-long-haul flights.The responses captured last year in conjunction with Sydney University’s Charles Perkins Centre are part of research being done as Qantas prepares to launch the first non-stop, long haul flights from Australia’s East Coast to New York and London from 2022.The airline has been conducting focus group research as well as surveying customers as they step off its direct London to Perth ultra-long-haul services to capture their experience, suggestions and feedback.The responses came after Qantas last year raised possibilities such as exercise zones, an on-board creche, on an in-flight bar and even downstairs beds in the cargo hold for its ultra-long-haul project, dubbed “Project Sunrise”.READ: Will Qantas underfloor beds bring back the romance of travel?Airbus and cabin interior specialist Zodiac Aerospace announced in 2018 they would develop lower deck modules with passenger sleeping berths and other facilities that can fit into an aircraft cargo compartment.The five most frequent suggestions that came back in the Flying Kangaroo’s recent passenger research included providing a “sense of separation” so passengers can be social but then use virtual reality, relaxation zones, mindfulness experiences or through broader inflight entertainment.They also wanted:Spaces to do gentle exercise/stretches, promoting circulation and comfort.Wireless, noise canceling headsetsInnovative cabin designs across the entire aircraft, considering both seat and non-seat spaces to focus on a broad range of traveler needs including comfort, sleep, dining, entertainment and state of mind.An inflight cafe offering both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages including wine, fresh juices, herbal teas and tisanes and mocktails along with snacks including dips with vegetable sticks as well as “treat foods”Qantas International chief executive Alison Webster said the new research showed increased interest in physical wellbeing, state of mind and personal time and space.“Customer feedback from the Perth to London flight has exceeded expectations, especially in relation to the time saved by skipping the traditional stopover and going direct to their destination,” Webster said.“The engagement and enthusiasm we’re seeing from this research highlights how passionate our customers are to be a part of the evolution of ultra-long-haul travel.”“Our job now is to determine where the most demand is and create this cabin in a way that makes it both affordable for customers and commercially viable for the airline. Everything is on the table and we are excited about what innovations may come from this research.”Qantas has already addressed some issues with initiatives that include 15-minute stretch routines for passengers before and after a long-haul flight, outdoor spaces at Perth terminal offering access to fresh air and specially designed onboard lightingThere is also an inflight menu designed by Neil Perry using scientific research from Charles Perkins Centre, to help determine the best ingredients to use in meals across various points of the flight to aid sleep and wakefulness.The airline says the next phase of its project will involve using new research from Charles Perkins Centre and ongoing customer feedback to inspire Qantas Industrial Designer David Caon to create interior cabin features, as well as future lounge features further incorporating health and wellness initiatives.“Customers are sharing some incredibly imaginative ideas, which is an exciting challenge and helps us to think outside of the box to redefine the ultra-long-haul experience,” Caon said.“Bringing some of these concepts to life will involve an entire rethink around how to be clever about use of all cabin space and what is practically possible but it may well involve incorporating design elements never before seen on commercial aircraft.”The airline is currently evaluating which aircraft type it will use to launch its ultra-long-haul route and is expected to make an announcement later this year.Under consideration are the Boeing 777X, which is due to roll out next month, and an ultra-long-range version of the Airbus A350.Boeing has already rolled out some more conventional concepts for its aircraft which include greater storage and comfort as well as the ability to control in-flight entertainment from personal devices.READ: Boeing reveals details of its 777X in a new videoBoeing’s 777X interior concept. image: Boeing
Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/ Vincenzo Montella confirms Fiorentina were in talks with Radja Nainggolan over a summer move before he joined Cagliari, but is disappointed in Giovanni Simeone. Speaking at his press conference ahead of the game against the Sardinians on Sunday, Montella revealed that a move had been possible. “I’ve been following him for some time. There was the possibility [of a move] and he was tempted, but he decided to go with his heart and went back to Cagliarl.” Cagliari have been the surprise package of the season so far, and currently sit joint fifth in the table, and Montella believes they’ve been a revelation. “They’ve been a bit of a revelation in the league. Their midfield is their strongest point and they don’t have to be envious of the other sides in Serie A. It will be a good game because they’re in a healthy state and their pitch is a little smaller than others, and this will help them. It will be a huge test for us.” Montella allowed Giovanni Simeone to join Cagliari last summer, after the striker had a difficult 2018-19 season in Florence. “Giovanni is an important player, but he was also an important player in Florence. He suffered last season, but to be honest I expected him to put more effort into changing the situation rather than just leaving the city behind. However he wanted to move, and we advised him to go to Cagliari. I am happy for him.” Midfielder Gaetano Castrovili has earned his first call-up to the Azzurri squad for the Euro 2020 qualifying games against Bosnia-Herzegovina and Armenia after a string of impressive performances for La Viola, and Montella was delighted for him. “We are proud. We took risks because he had never played in Serie A, but he is a humble guy who makes great sacrifices.”
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Wednesday stayed the arrest of senior Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan in 27 cases of alleged grabbing of land.A two-judge of justices Manoj Mishra and Manju Rani Chauhan passed the order on a petition filed by the former Uttar Pradesh minister, challenging the FIRs registered between July 13 and 20. The court order protects the former Uttar Pradesh minister from arrest in 27 criminal cases, registered on complaints of forcible occupation of farmers’ land for the construction related to his Mohammad Ali Jauhar University in Rampur. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghThe court has also asked the state government and the counsel appearing for farmers to file their counter affidavit. The high court issued a notice to actor-turned-politician Jaya Prada as Azam Khan had contended that all FIRs against him were lodged at her behest. He has made Jaya Prada a respondent. The FIRs were lodged against Khan by several farmers at the Azeem Nagar police station in Rampur. It was alleged in the petition by Azam Khan that the FIRs were lodged against him due to political enmity. The next hearing into the case is scheduled for October 24. On September 14, Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav had said in Rampur that all cases lodged against Rampur MP Azam Khan would be withdrawn if their party came to power.
Kolkata: To ease traffic movement during the Durga Puja, the state government unveiled three bridges in the city on Monday. The Izatullah Lane Bridge and the Karunamoyee canal bridge was inaugurated by state Urban Development minister Firhad Hakim while the Bailey bridge at Ultadanga was unveiled by state Fire and Emergency Services minister Sujit Bose.”When a portion of Majerhat bridge caved in last September, we had decided to provide alternative routes to help Behala residents commute to other parts of the city. We are opening Izzatullah Lane Bridge and the Karunamoyee canal bridge today to ease the pressure on Durgapur bridge and Tollygunge bridge. This will help people from Behala and its adjoining areas to reach faster to Tollygunge metro station and Bangur Hospital. It is a puja gift to the city from Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA), which has constructed the two bridges,” said Hakim, who is also the chairman of KMDA. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaA temple and a club had encroached the way of Izatullah Lane bridge. Member, Mayor-in-Council (Drainage) Tarak Singh took steps to shift the temple and the club to facilitate construction of the bridge. “There are some quarters that lie under the jurisdiction of Tolly Club. We have spoken to Tolly Club authorities and shortly will be shifting the quarters to widen the road by another 2.5 m for further easing out of traffic movement,” Hakim said. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayThe Izatullah Lane bridge, which is 21 m long, has being built at an estimated cost of Rs 6 crore while Rs 7 crore has been spent on Karunamoyee Canal bridge, which is 29 m long. The Bailey bridge, connecting Lake Town and Salt Lake, was inaugurated by Sujit Bose. The 45-metre Bailey bridge in Lake Town will cater to only one-way traffic for light vehicles from VIP Road to Salt Lake. The Bailey bridge was planned after the Ultadanga flyover was closed as some cracks were spotted on a pier and the retaining wall. The Dum Dum Airport bound flank was opened for traffic after three days but the Bypass bound flank is still closed for repairs. There are several pujas in Dum Dum and Lake Town areas, which draw huge crowd, so opening the Bailey bridge will surely ease traffic congestion in the area and will be a boon for pandal-hoppers.